This job posting is no longer active
Haymarket Media Group has its heart and soul in publishing and media. We are a creative business, with an unrelenting focus on the quality of our products and our people. Our philosophy has always been quite simple – employ the best to produce the best.
From sport to medicine, from technology to motoring, from classical music to marcomms, we are active in consumer, business and customer media, along with exhibitions and live events. We aim to be the perfect company to work for – we have the processes and attitude that ensure quality and consistency, and an entrepreneurial spirit that makes every day rewarding.
And we are international - globalization is opening up the world further, and providing many opportunities for us to continue to grow. We have major offices around the world - New York, Sydney, Hong Kong, Singapore and Germany – and many of our titles are truly global brands.
Haymarket Digital Media is the in-house agency for Haymarket Consumer Media, based in riverside offices in Teddington.
We are an experienced team of user experience designers, developers and project managers who deliver and support our digital properties. From WhatCar and Pistonheads to Stuff to WhatHifi, we deliver solutions for market-leading brands across multiple platforms using a variety of technologies such as .net and Drupal.
We have a great opportunity to join a focal team within a major, market-leading company. We are Agile advocates and we operate in an agency style, combining the fast pace and variety of a digital agency with the team spirit and ‘ownership’ of client work.
What you’ll do
You’ll work on brands such as Stuff.tv, WhatHifi, What Car, Pistonheads and Autocar and will be a key player in our ability to develop new digital offerings across multiple platforms. You’ll work within the digital development team and alongside the editorial staff and product/brand managers to develop user-centric interfaces.
You will create concepts and ideas, expressed through sketching, paper and digital prototyping & wire framing, full design or html mock-up and be able to explain a rationale to your approach, incorporating user, advertiser and brand needs and best practise
You’ll own our user experience process and be able to devise and plan UX processes that account for intended audience outcomes and market research data and employ practises such as usability testing, focus groups and other forms of user feedback and intelligence.
What you’ve done
- You’ll have least 7 year’s industry experience working within a digital UX environment, preferably within a multi-brand, client-side environment…
- You’ll have at least 4 years experience of hands-on, pure UX work primarily involving prototyping and conceptual wire framing
- You’ll have at least 2 years experience managing a team or mentoring other User Experience staff.
- You’ll have worked with cross-functional teams effectively
- You’ll have worked extensively across multiple platforms – desktop, mobile, tablet.
- You’ll be an experienced digital designer who has produced great looking, modular digital interfaces
Tools of your trade
Some of the things you’ll know inside out…
- How to put the user at the heart of design, you’ll know exactly what a persona is and be able to find and model journeys and scenarios.
- Illustrator, Omnigraffle, Visio, Axure for prototyping and flow diagrams
- A complete understanding of the technical tools available to modern UX such as third-party data API’s (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Flickr etc), the latest industry standard code capabilities (HTML5, css3, ajax, jquery etc) and intimately understand how your UX affects the work of developers.
- Up to date understanding of the current UX industry - for example, you could talk at length about responsive web design or the work of Steve Krug
- Understanding Agile and how UX can and should be run as or within a Lean or Scum process
Some of the things you’ll be pretty adept with…
- Photoshop, Illustrator, Fireworks
- Analytics (Google Analytics)
- Webmaster tools
- Online testing tools
- A/B and MVT tools
Some nice to haves…
Who are you
- Haymarket stands for quality but is also a challenging and rewarding environment - a can-do attitude is vital
- Fun, energetic and passionate
- A ‘creative scientist’
- Analytical and able to filter inputs into tangible solutions
- Confident and self-sufficient
- A love of motoring or consumer electronics would also be a great addition
How to get the job
- Get through a first interview with Simon Hill, Digital Technology Director. Simon manages the 45-strong digital development teams for Haymarket in the UK
- Second interview part 1 – a short interview with senior members of the development teams
- Second interview part 2 – a short interview with a senior editorial and product management representative
Don’t forget to…..
- Bring some great work to show off
- Express strong views about our brands online
- Be full of ideas and thoughts about the Interweb
How To Apply
Haymarket is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all areas of the community.
If you are interested in applying for this position please click the ‘Apply Here’ button below.