Journalism Apprentice - Autocar
We are looking for someone who wants to take the first steps in their editorial career to work on Autocar. The successful applicant will be working alongside experienced industry experts to learn about print- and digital-based journalism. Haymarket’s editorial apprentice will have the opportunity to learn what it takes to be a journalist. You will work on Autocar, one of the largest automotive publishing brands in the UK, both in print and online.
Twickenham - Premier House
58 London Rd, Twickenham TW1 3QS
Editorial & Content Creation ,
Internships & Apprentices
Full Time / Part Time
Permanent / Fixed Term Contract
The Haymarket Skills Academy is now in its fifth year, providing unparalleled opportunities in media. Our award winning apprenticeships are a fantastic way to gain industry experience whilst also receiving an accredited qualification.
As part of our next intake of apprentices starting in September we are now looking for a Junior Reporter to join our Autocar, Editorial team.
Haymarket Media Group is one of the world’s leading international specialist media, tech and information companies.
Haymarket operates more than 70 market-leading brands created by world-class experts in locations in the UK, the US, Hong Kong, Singapore, India and Germany. Our brands connect millions of highly engaged people across digital, mobile, print and live media.
We are a company who are defined by our values and we are committed to supporting all our people to develop themselves and achieve their potential..
The Role & The Team
One of the main reasons Haymarket Media Group is so highly respected by both our readers and our clients is the high level of knowledge our editorial employees show on each and every product.
We are looking for someone who wants to take the first steps in their editorial career to work on Autocar. The successful applicant will be working alongside experienced industry experts to learn about print- and digital-based journalism.
Haymarket’s editorial apprentice will have the opportunity to learn what it takes to be a journalist. You will work on Autocar, one of the largest automotive publishing brands in the UK, both in print and online.
What you will learn:
- Write, edit and post news stories, plus sourcing images for the Autocar website
- Researching news stories
- Supporting the wider editorial teams
- Coordinate and send out regular email newsletters when required
- Write search-engine friendly headlines, picture captions, subject lines
- Help to carry out social media strategy by managing Twitter, Youtube and Facebook pages when requested
- Track and manage the brand’s online reputation through media monitoring
- Identify opportunities to grow traffic through online ideas
- Overseeing strategy for uploading magazine content to website
- Responding to readers on social media where appropriate
- Assist with video production and photography
Who you are:
- High attention to detail to deliver accurate copy
- A positive, flexible attitude suited to the demands of being a news journalist
- Passion to immerse yourself in the motoring industry
- Creative thinking and an ability to multi-task
- Excellent social media knowledge
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communications skills are essential to be successful
- Excellent organisation and time management skills
- Confidence in using Microsoft packages and content management systems (CMS)
- 8 GCSEs, at grades A*-C/9-4 (or equivalent) including English at A/9/8/7 Grade
- At least 2 A Levels (or an equivalent qualification) including A in English
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Other things to know…
- We are based in Twickenham, which is a quick 20 minutes from central London, and easy access from Surrey.
- The apprenticeship is a chance to gain a L3 NCTJ qualification in Journalism, through our partners Press Association. - the apprenticeship is an 18 month contract. [unfortunately if you have a Journalism degree, we are unable to proceed with your application further]
- You get to Earn as you Learn! - We offer a competitive starting salary of £15,000pa. The apprenticeship qualification is covered and paid for by Haymarket as part of the Apprenticeship Levy scheme.
- You will attend regular sessions with your apprenticeship provider, to assist you in gaining your qualification. The apprenticeship training accounts to around 20% of your working time.
- In addition to the Apprenticeship Qualifications, you will also have the opportunity to attend Haymarkets in-house, specialist training sessions to aid you further in your role.
- At the end of the apprenticeship our Skills Academy team will assist you with careers advice, CV writing, and Interview Skills.
- We work a 35 hour, full time week, with the option of Flexible Working hours and support a friendly, creative and collaborative culture, reflected in our open-plan working environment.
- Benefits include: 25 days Holiday, rising by 1 day per year up to 30 days, Pension,, Life Assurance, Health Cash Plan/Private Medical Insurance, plus voluntary benefits such as Ride to Work, Season ticket loans, Gym and Health lifestyle rewards and discounts on the highstreet.